6 Self Care Tips For Bad Mental Health Days
Updated: Sep 17, 2019
One day I can feel great; I'll spend the day being productive and I'll be overcome with confidence and joy. The next day I can feel slightly unmotivated; but I can still try to maintain a bit of happiness and routine. Then one day later I can feel like total shit; I won't do a single productive thing all day and I'll have a couple panic attacks, but that's okay. Every emotion I feel is fine and perfectly normal.
It seems like when we have a good day at the height of a bad mental state, we're made to feel guilty in some way and like we can't celebrate that because the reaction seems to be "You must be cured!". To compare, when we have a bad day during our successfully ongoing recovery, we're also made to feel guilty in some way, as if all of our good days leading up to it means nothing anymore. We're made to feel this way, not only by society, but ourselves. We're under an illusion that we either suffer with mental health consistently, or we're "cured". That couldn't be any further from the truth. We're in constant recovery and sometimes we have set backs that can last a couple hours or a couple weeks, and that's okay. We're all allowed to go through rough patches, as long as we don't unpack and stay there forever.
If you're like me, and are having a bad mental health day today then I want you to know that you're not alone. You're going to get through today like you have done every other; and I'm going to help you. Here are my 6 self care tips for bad mental health day's:
1. As soon as you wake up, you need to force yourself to get in the shower. You need to feel refreshed straight off the bat, otherwise you'll end up sitting around all day in a complete slump and won't shower for another 24 hours. Just remember how good you feel after a shower and use that as motivation. Don't worry, you can put on a comfy pair of pyjamas straight after it.
2. To keep somewhat of a routine, I find it really helpful to get up and have a nice cuppa and a bite to eat. It makes me feel somewhat normal.
3. You need to minimise the amount of negativity around you as much as you can today, so have a digital detox for the day. Being on social media is the last thing you need on a bad mental health day, so turn your phone over and put it out of sight.
4. You don't have to be productive today, it's okay to just be with yourself. In fact it's essential that you spend today doing what helps you escape, whether that be watching Netflix, reading a book, drawing, writing - anything. Today is all about keeping yourself calm and out of your own head.
5. Don't stay in bed all day, as much as I know you want to. It's more important that you get a good nights sleep tonight. If you spend the entire day in bed, chances are you won't get the sleep you need tonight to re energise and you'll end up feeling just as bad, if not worse, tomorrow. You can still relax on the couch.
6. Turn your gratitude up a notch today. Practicing gratitude is such a beneficial tool in creating a happy state of mind and a happy life, so be sure to express as much gratitude as you can manage today. I know sometimes it can be a hard thing to do when you're feeling so down, but just try to at least say what you're grateful for before you go to sleep tonight.
I hope you feel better tomorrow, but if not, that's okay; just keep working on yourself. You'll get there!
If you like what I'm doing and you would like to support me and my little blog, then you can do so by making a small donation via ko-fi here or via paypal using this email - email@example.com